Thursday, April 8, 2010

Oceanside

The race went well. I hit all the numbers so I can't ask for anything more. I swam as hard as I can swim. Biked 15 watts higher then my previous half ironman best. Then I ran as fast as I could go.

Highlights of the trip:

-Delta skycap. Not begin a big traveler I sit with everyone else waiting - paying for food and drink. Not this time. This trip I traveled out with Jesse and he knows how to travel. I could've eaten the whole bowl of dried fruit they put out for the lucky ones who sit in skycap. FYI- their nut mix is awesome too!
-Dropping Matt Reed on the run. Matt caught (ie- lapped) me just before mile 1. He immediately went by and put 10 seconds on me and I was waiting for him to continue pulling away. He stayed right there 10 seconds up the road, until we got to the far turnaround which is just before mile 4 for me and 10 for him. We turn around the cone and all of a sudden I am next to him, we run side by side for a second then all of a sudden it's just me and the "2nd place male" moutain bike guy. We pass Wendy Ingraham on the side of the road and I can hear her ask the person she is with "who is that guy?" I was in the 4th wave so the way back in on the run was empty- everyone was coming at us. It was just me and Reed for the whole way in. Once I opened up a little gap, spectators where going nuts for me taking pictures, giving me splits to 1st and yelling that Matt was still right there. We ran all the way to the turn around like that. Once I made the turn to go back out I ran back by him and said "nice work" he nodded and gave me the point. It was a very cool 6 miles.

The last highlight of the trip was even before I left:
Monday fat loading - large cheese buger and fries from Five Guys then a medium Oreo and Reese's Peanut Butter Cup blizard. Hey, I was still hungry!

Currently I am on day 10 of IM overload training. Which means I am pretty much a mess right now. That would explain the fact that after my swim today it took me 10 minutes to find my locker. I opened almost every since one in that place. I wondered how it would look walking home in my swim shorts. Good thing it's less then a mile!

I am leaving tonight for our IM St George training camp. Looking forward to finishing up the last few long/hard efforts with some good company.

No comments: